- Arrowtown is built on the banks of the Arrow River, once a rich source of gold in the 1860's and now a sophisticated, multi-cultural town catering to the refined tastes of its visitors from around the globe. Arrowtown offers an ambiance not found elsewhere with its shops, restaurants, cafes, offices and galleries located within a tight historic precinct.
- The Arrowtown restaurant guide provides an excellent description of local restaurants as well as contact numbers enabling you to make bookings in advance.
- The main street of Arrowtown is only 50 paces away from the Stone House Cottage.
- Queenstown, New Zealand, is the Southern Hemisphere’s premier four season lake and alpine resort. Surrounded by majestic mountains and nestled on the shores of crystal clear Lake Wakatipu, Queenstown’s stunning scenery is inspiring and revitalising.
- Queenstown is only 20 minutes away by car, or 30 minutes away by bus from Arrowtown.
- Known internationally for its excellent skiing and snowboarding opportunities, Queenstown also offers winter sports for those wanting something different. Take the family ice skating, try snow shoeing or take a snowmobile for a spin!
- The Stone House Cottage is only 30 minutes away from Coronet Peak,
45 minutes away from the Remarkables,
and an hour away from Cardrona.
- Central Otago is New Zealand's most scenic wine region and is a rapidly developing wine growing region, with over 178 vineyards, and an international reputation for Pinot Noir.
- Numerous prestigious vineyards and wine makers can be found on the local wine trail and can be visited by car in an afternoon or with a wine trail operator.
- Millbrook is a five star golf and spa resort located 3 minutes away by car and 20 minutes away on foot.
- The 18-hole golf course was designed by Bob Charles and is surrounded by the stunning mountain ranges of The Remarkables and Coronet Peak.
- Spa Day Passes can be purchased from the luxurious Millbrook Spa providing access to the spa, gym, indoor pool and outdoor hot pools.
- Dorothy Browns is a luxurious boutique Cinema and Bar 3 minutes walk from the Stone House Cottage in the main street of Arrowtown (just alongside Saffron restaurant).
- The main cinema is beautifully designed with Chinese silk ceilings, chandeliers and seriously spacious seats.
- The Den is smaller, comfortable and relaxed. It screens mostly arthouse movies. Reservations are recommended and are made by speaking to cinema staff.
Walks and Hikes >
- Arrowtown is renowned for its extensive range of historic and recreational walking tracks.
- A detailed map of the following tracks can be found in the writing desk in the Stone House Cottage.
Contact Numbers for Reservations >
- Saffron fine dining restaurant, 3 minutes walk from the Stonehouse Cottage: T + 64 (3) 442 0131 (bookings recommended)
- The Postmaster's Residence Restaurant for a reasonably priced good quality meal in a historic Arrowtown iconic building formerly the residence of the postmaster. 5 minutes walk from the Stonehouse Cottage: T +64 (3)-442 0991 (reservations recommended)
- Gantleys Restaurant is for fine dining in a rustic setting. 15 minutes drive from the Stone House Cottage along Malaghan’s Road, at Arthur’s Point (officially 174 Arthur’s Point Road) T +64 (3) 442 8999 (reservations recommended)
- Amisfield Bistro (at Amisfield Wine Company) is a must for lunch on one of the days on your stay at the Stone House Cottage. It is located at the beginning of Lake Hayes Road, 10 minutes drive from the Stone House Cottage: T +64 3 442 0556 (bookings essential) .
- Mt Difficulty Cellar Door & Restaurant. Wine tastings daily from 10.30am to 4.30pm, Lunch served daily from 12 noon to 3pm. A stunning location for lunch or afternoon tea. An hour’s drive through the Gibston Valley to Bannockburn. Mt Difficulty is one of Central Otago’s most renowned winemakers. The restaurant looks out from the mountain over the beautifull hills and valleys: T +64 (3) 445 3445 ext 1 (reservations recommended)
- Dorothy Browns Boutique Cinema, 3 minutes walk from the Stone House Cottage: T +64 (3) 442 1964 (reservations recommended)
- Millbrook Resort (for golf, spa treatments, day spa passes with access to gym and pool, or dining at the Millhouse restaurant. 3 minutes drive or 20 minutes walk from the Stonehouse Cottage:T Freephone (NZ Only): 0800 800 604 International: T +64 (3) 441 7000
- The Spa at Nugget Point, 15 minutes drive along Malaghan’s Road to Arthurs Point, near the Shotover River: T +64 3 441 0288
More information about Arrowtown’s history, activities and events can be found at www.arrowtown.com